When I’m baking a cake for a special occasion, I try to make sure that everything is perfect. I add the correct ingredients to the mixture, and I ensure that what I’ve made is not only the best it can be, but also the most original it can be.
When I create items to sell on the Envato Marketplaces, I use the same principles. I aim for the right number of features in my files, and always try to make something original. It’s really not so different from baking!
Here’s some stuff you’ll need to make a killer Marketplace cake. The goal is to make something useful, original and exciting!
- 3 spoonfuls of commitment. We’re all here to get better at what we do, don’t give up!
- 1 cup of originality, so that no two items on the Marketplaces are the same.
- 5 handfuls of usefulness. This is the main filling of your item: unique, well-made features, to craft a useful and desirable final product.
- Eye-catching visuals, to taste. It’s important that your product looks good, no matter what it is.
- A hearty pinch of documentation, when required.
Now let’s take a look at what to do with all these ingredients and how to advertise your item.
- Add all ingredients, bake until ready, and serve fresh. Don’t rush it, but keep your eye on the clock—it’s important to keep up with trends, and be on the ball.
- Garnish your products so that they’re well presented. Take care to make your item page look attractive by adding small pictures, snapshots or other details. Describe your item well, so that buyers know it’s what they’re looking for.
- Never give up, even if at first your item is rejected. Nobody becomes a master overnight—it takes practice and patience.
- Ask clients/buyers for a testimonial, if they’re happy with your product.
- Be willing to help if someone has a problem with their purchase.
- Beware of posting big adverts on your item page saying things like “Buy now, it’s cheap.” This can make your item seem tacky.
- Never be rude on the comment pages, even if someone doesn’t like your item.
- Never rush ahead with something, when you should have first checked with Envato Support.
- Don’t treat your fellow authors like they’re your enemies. It’s ok to feel motivated by your competition, but remember that collaboration can be the key to making great products, and we all want to work in a friendly atmosphere.
One final thing that cakes and Marketplaces items have in common is that good authors and bakers are always trying something different. They’re committed to improving their craft, and it shows in their work. And now if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got to get back to the kitchen!