New publications from design teams this week
From Facebook: Facebook’s design team is giving back to the design community. In a Medium post, they wrote about the importance of sharing resources and knowledge in order to “help designers create great things better and faster”; and so, Facebook.design was created. It’s a collection of articles, case studies, resources, and other interesting design insights from the Facebook world.
From Asana: task-manager Asana shook things up with a redesign a few months ago, and now they’re launching a brand-new publication called Wavelength. It’s all about teams and productivity and it’s worth a read, if even just to check out the illustrations for all the articles. Side note: is every new publication these days required to have their own custom illustrations? If you need one, check out this list of 20 incredible illustrators, or browse the illustration section of Envato Studio.
From Affinity: a workbook about design from the Affinity Designer team.
On reading and writing
Yes, millennials actually read sometimes
Will media = video in a few years? Maybe, maybe not. But according to new study by the Pew Research Center, some of those elusive ~millennials~ actually prefer to read the news instead of watch it, which is a surprise to everyone except for actual millennials.
“Abandon the idea that you are ever going to finish.” The best productivity habits from famous writers.
What we published recently
An ode to the beautiful design of 99u, a publication about design from Adobe. We broke down the design elements of the site, why it works, and how you can mirror that style in your web design.
This might be one of my favorite articles we’ve published on the Envato blog so far – a personal story about being the only woman in a tech class full of men.
Add some moving parts to your website, without going too wild on the animation.
Build your portfolio and start some side projects, but also, maybe take a vacation.
Reasons why it’s worth thinking about what you can offer your readers – in the form of free PDFs, ebooks, and more.
Branding + design highlights
- A rebrand from Pandora. It’s bright, flashy, a little retro, and they even made a video to unveil it.
- Two things I hate: filler copy and cats. But if you like, or need more of, either of those things in your life, then Cat Ipsum is for you.
- Responsiveness + big imagery, full-screen videos + parallax scrolling: design matches that were made for each other.
- Responsive design (as in, responding to trends in U.S. politics); a fast turnaround on creating this Nasty Woman clothing line.
- Playful, pretty business cards from MOO and designer Baron Von Fancy (limited edition!).
- How to build a Facebook Messenger Bot with Node.js.
- How to create more fun, playful typography.
- 3×7: 7 Ways Design and SEO Can Work Together for Business, 7 Ways to Introduce AI Into Your Organization, 7 Essential Tax Deductions For Freelance Designers.